Monday 9 October 2017

What does it take to be granted as "authorised"?

This year registrations for the main Shala were a little bit messy. No one really knew if Sharat will be opening a new season and if yes when.

Well it finally appeared that he will be teaching only 2 months December and January 2018. They open the registrations on September 15th (midnight on September 14th) and in less than 24 hours registration was closed as the maximum number of submissions has been reached......

As I missed it I then decided to practice with Sarawasthi and I have been admitted in less than 24 hours. Definitely very happy about it!

Then this morning during my practice (painful practice as I am back to Europe until next week and practicing when it is cold is really hard for me...) I was thinking what does it take for me to get authorised? Because whatever we are saying about practicing at the main shala I do believe that we all do it with a minimum of expectation.... which is, if you can not become Sharat buddy for life then maybe you can get the authorisation.

Lets be clear, for your yogic career it is a HUGE or should I say A MASSIVE improvement. But what does it take to get it?

First of all a lot of PRACTICE, and I mean A LOT! Which of course led us to Tapas. Discipline. We can be fed up of watching people doing crazy asanas but personally I got fed up them because of jealousy. Deep inside of me I wish I could do the same. I do follow Mark Robberds and his level of practice is out of my reach, same for Kino. These people did not reach the top of the mountain by sitting in their couch and watching TV, they dedicated their all lives to the Asthanga Yoga practice and now they should enjoy the fruits of their hard work.

Unfortunately I am slightly lazy. For instance I have been travelling to Europe this last month and I did not do anything, not even a pranayama, I did absolutely nothing for one full month, 4 full weeks.... as a result when I hit back my yoga mat my body did not respond so well....

Therefore I need to be honest with myself. Right now I should not even think of getting any authorisation as clearly I do not have the level and my mind is not set up for it. Also age is playing against me, I am 43 years old and not getting younger so if at all I have feeding any expectations I will have to work my ass for it. Which I will do.

There is a lot of fight about the lineage, some are following Sharat, some are following Manju, others are following other tradition but in the end there is always the shadow of authorised versus unauthorised. Deep inside of me I would like to be authorised one day, will I be able to do so it is another story, if I can be honest with myself and work like crazy for this goal I think I could.

What does it take to be authorised?

1. Practice
2. Practice
3. Practice

How long does it take?

Depends, at least 3 years, for me it will probably take 10 years ;-)

Are authorised teachers better than others?

No. But they work hard to get there so they have all my respect and admiration!

- Namaste -

No comments:

Post a Comment