Wednesday 6 July 2016

Mysore Practice Sarawasti Shala - Week 5

Starts: 4.50 AM
Ends: 6.20 AM

I have to step  back. If I continue to practice all padmasana, ardha padmasana by the end of the month I won't be able to walk. So I should stop the knee rotation and adapt my practice if the so call tradition allows me to do so.

Today was really hard for my knee, even Janu Shirshana is becoming painful and Tryanga Mukha Eka Pada is very uncomfortable.

Knee is gone, it needs a rest.

The rest of the practice is better than ever, I don't understand why the tradition is forcing you to masterise all asana before going to another, what in the case of injuries such as myself? It creates a special elite of practictioner and I do believe that I am not the only one in this case, however I also noticed that others practictioner are pushing themselves. But until when? When the body will stop to work properly.

I do understand now why in Ashtanga there are so many injuries. If you want to win the authorisation of practicing the all series you need to go over your limit. 

I've seen so many students completely unaligned but catching the big toes or the hand, and they are allowed to practice everything. The alignement is secondary, just practice. I do believe that before Ashtanga becomes so popular Sri Pattabhi Jois used to give a special set of asana for students, it was not only about the Primary series, Student one has his own practice, Student 2 had another one etc...

But now it has become an Ashtanga Factory, no one is really looking at you, specially if you are practicing in the changing room..... it is only about catching, grabbing, bending, if not catching then stop, whatever the problem is...

So my question is am I really practicing Yoga right now or just a physical exercice?....

Clueless....

1 comment:

  1. Hello Steph,

    Je crois que l'important est d'avoir la possibilité en tant que professeur de l'enseigner de la manière que tu connais, comme tu l'aimes et comme l'ont enseigné les anciens. Nous sommes dans un monde de performance et d'urgence constante, réussir à prendre le temps d'avancer dans une posture, à prendre le temps de respirer longuement et profondément, à prendre le temps de ne pratiquer qu'une première partie de sa série d'ashtanga pour la maîtriser et passer à la suivante, tout ceci n'est pas, n'est plus de notre époque c'est pourquoi les gens poussent, allons plus loin tout de suite, soyons efficaces, forts, courageux, toucher mon orteil est le but.
    Et puis on pratique, sûrement qu'on se fait mal, on laisse tomber ou on force et vient un moment où je crois que tous les pratiquants de yoga se reconnaîtront, vient un moment où ça nous dépasse, et où enfin on entre en état de yoga, comme une révélation et on réalise qu'on avait rien compris avant même si on faisait la série en entier en 1h...

    L'humain est coincé, bloqué de partout intérieurement et il faut beaucoup de temps pour quitter l'auto contrôle et se laisser porter par quelque chose de plus fort que nous...

    Et il faut accepter qu'une grande partie des pratiquants le fait pour la performance artistique, visuelle, pour avoir un corps beau et ferme, peu de gens pratiquent pour le bien être et la protection du corps et de l'esprit.

    Reste cohérente avec tes élèves et avec toi même et tout ira bien:)

    Bises,

    Sabrina Amidi

    ReplyDelete