Monday 19 June 2017

Premenstrual syndrom

The joy of being a woman ;-)

The PMS symptoms can begin on the 14 days of the cycle, "happily" for me it mostly begins around a week or 4 days before the periods starts.

A chemical change in the brain and an insufficient amount of serotonin can cause PMS. 
Serotonin is active in constricting smooth muscles, transmitting impulses between nerves cells, regulating cyclic body processes and contributing to well being and happiness (source: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com).

During the PMS we can also experienced the following:

1. Pain areas such as breast, abdomen, back, joints, muscles and pelvis
2. Constipation, diarrhoea,  nausea, gas or water retention (hopefully not all of them!)
3. Excessive hunger or lost of appetite, fatigue
4. Anxiety
5. Acne, depression, weight gain, insomnia, irritability etc...

One of the solution to avoid all of these is regular physical exercice. However even thought you are a regular practictioner of Ashtanga or other style of Yoga the PMS can still occur. So yes physical exercice might help but does not protect you against it.

Food habit can also have an impact such as coffee which seems not to be good and too much sweet.

Mea culpa I am coffee drinker.... however I do believe that my diet is okay, I do eat a lot of fruits and vegetable and slowly but surely cutting all dairy products. The only one that I can not really stop is the butter, as soon as I see a piece of bread I need butter on it... 

Sometimes it is very frustrating when you practice because you know at one point during a week your practice won't be as good as it was the week before, not to mention when the bleeding starts during which you  can (or I personally) can not practice for 48 hours.

The "solution" will be to take the birth control pill for which I am  completely against, so that is a big no. If you are taking the birth control pills then you might not need to stop your practice as your cycle is not a natural one, everything is fake, even the bleeding is fake.

Now how to deal with the PMS during your practice?

If someone has the answer then I am ready to listen because every month it is a nightmare for me. My body is completely stiff, I have pain everywhere, I am big and completely moody.

Basically on a one month practice I only have 3 weeks during which I am really practicing....

I am then wondering how Wonder Woman manage it....


No comments:

Post a Comment